Please note that this list is women only and only for women in computer science as described below.
Systers-out is women-only mailing list affiliated with the systers mailing list run by Dr. Anita Borg. (For more information about systers, send mail to email@example.com.) The following description of systers-out was modelled on (and flatteringly plagiarized) from syster's membership description.
Systers-out is a private, unmoderated mailing list intended to allow professional lesbians and bisexual women in the field of computing--i.e., with a degree (or currently a student) in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or holding an equivalent technical position in industry, academia, or government--to discuss issues of mutual interest.
The goal of this list is to meet other lesbian and bisexual women working in computer science, to share what it is like to be a lesbian or bisexual women in the field in both industry and academia, to raise visibility in industry, academia and employee and student organizations and to share resources for information and mutual support.
There are many newsgroups and mailing lists generally available for discussion both of gay, bi and lesbian issues and specific areas of computer science/engineering; systers-out aims for a narrower focus. This group is not intended for the use of those in marketing or most administrative positions within a computer company, or reporting about the computer industry, or those just interested in the problems of lesbian and bi women computer professionals. Systers-out does include technical writers and some administrative positions. In this it differs from systers.
- To subscribe send your full name, email address and computer science affiliation.
- To unsubscribe, send your full name and email address.
- For more information, send your full name and email address.
(This mail goes to a real person (me) NOT A LISTSERVER. Be nice. :-)
(This also means that I'm a bit slow responding :-(
For other administration stuff, or for emergencies, send mail to:
Etiquette Goals: Respect, Low Traffic, High Content
- No message may be forwarded from systers-out without the *explicit* permission of the author.
- Try not to out people inadvertently when talking about this list to non-members. Respect each woman's situation and choice with regards to being out.
- Whenever possible, collect responses to a query and post a summary back to systers-out. I will run "systers keeper"-like intervention when things get too chatty, but we can be a little looser than systers. Some people will not be able to participate if the traffic gets too high.
- Put your name and email address at the bottom of your messages so people can respond to you. Many mail readers swallow that information from the header.
- Gay/Lesbian/Bi announcements and Computer Science announcements and women's announcements are all appropriate here.
- This is an international mailing list. Please remember not everyone recognizes abbreviations for organization names and colloquialisms.
- Remember that the women on this list are our current and future peers, managers and employees.